Keeping your kids out of your conflicts
Being involved in parental conflicts can be extremely stressful for kids, because the negative emotions rub off on them one way or the other.
These kids typically find it difficult to focus, excel, or have healthy interactions, amongst others.
TIPS FOR PARENTS:
1. Breathe, and take your conflicts and arguments behind closed doors
2. If an argument is about to occur before the kids, distract your self by doing a mental count or by thinking of something else
4. If you must speak in the moment, ensure your differing opinions are soft and constructive
5. Never invite your child to take sides with either parent when arguing
6. If your kids happen to be aware of your conflict and you have settled, let them know you have settled
7. Do not be a malicious mum or dad, never paint the other parent bad
If you would like to know more about this topic, read Nonso’s story.
Are you having trouble dealing with conflicts as a parent, and would like to talk, click here.